George Stanley Green (c.1896-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- GREEN, GEORGE STANLEY. Private. No 10718. 2nd Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Shelley, Huddersfield. Son of John Albert and Harriet Green, 20 New Grange, Marsden. Prior to enlistment, had worked in the finishing department of Messrs C. and J. Hirst Limited, Milnsbridge, and previous to that had worked for Messrs Crowther, Bruce and Company at Marsden. Enlisted October 1914. On 30.6.1916, he was seriously wounded in the chest and the leg. He was taken to the VIII Corps Collection Station at Acheux, which had been prepared in readiness for the Battle of Somme. He died of his injuries on 2.7.1916, aged 20. He was the first man to be buried in ACHEUX BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 1, Row 1, Grave 1.
- ROH:- Marsden War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private GEORGE STANLEY GREEN
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Sunday, July 2, 1916
- age: 20 years
- record ID: 117916