George Lindford Holroyd (c.1896-1916)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HOLROYD, GEORGE LINDFORD. Private. No 3811. 10th/11th Highland Light Infantry. Born Huddersfield. Only son of Mrs Holroyd, 27 Green Lane, Dalton, Huddersfield. Attended Kirkheaton Church Sunday School. Employed by Mr. W. H. Murgatroyd, cloth finisher, Leeds Road, Huddersfield. Enlisted February 1915. Wounded Christmas 1915. Returned to France. Died of gunshot wounds in No 36 Casualty Clearing Station, 18.9.1916, aged 20 years. Buried HEILLY STATION CEMETERY. Grave location:- Special Memorial 16.
- ROH:- St. John's Church, Kirkheaton.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private HOLROYD
- regiment: Highland Light Infantry
- died: Monday, September 18, 1916
- record ID: 271319
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #271319)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1947049)