George Hirst (c.1896-1917)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HIRST, GEORGE. Rifleman. No S/28212. 10th Battalion The Rifle Brigade. Born Holmfirth. Son of Tom and Annie Hirst, of Longley, Holmfirth. Killed in action at the Battle of Cambrai, 27.11.1917, aged 21 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated CAMBRAI MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Hade Edge War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Rifleman GEORGE HIRST
- regiment: Rifle Brigade
- died: Tuesday, November 27, 1917
- age: 21 years
- record ID: 1753913
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1753913)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1896032)