George Herbert Sykes (1894-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SYKES, GEORGE HERBERT. Private. No 8671. 20th Hussars. Born Paddock, Huddersfield, 1894. Son of Percy and M A Sykes, 19 Armitage Road, Milnsbridge. Educated Milnsbridge Church of England School. Employed as a woollen piecer by Messrs James Shires and Sons, George Street, Milnsbridge. Attended Milnsbridge Wesleyan Church. Enlisted February 1913. Embarked for France in August, 1914. Killed in action near Gouzeacourt on 31.5.1917, aged 23. Buried UNICORN CEMETERY, VENDHUILE. Grave location:- Plot 2, Row H, Grave 15.
- Brother of Private WILFRED SYKES died of wounds, 29.5.1918.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private GEORGE HERBERT SYKES
- regiment: 20th Hussars
- died: Thursday, May 31, 1917
- age: 23 years
- record ID: 177826
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #177826)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4341640)