George Henry Broadbent (c.1890-1917)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BROADBENT, GEORGE HENRY. Rifleman. No 307156. 1/8th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. Born Upperthong. Employed by Messrs Howarth and Harpin, butchers, of Huddersfield. Married in June, 1915. Husband of Annie Broadbent, 33 Town End, Wooldale. Enlisted June, 1916. Embarked for France September, 1916. Killed in action at the Battle of Passchendaele, 9.10.1917, aged 27 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated on the TYNE COT MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Wooldale War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Rifleman GEORGE HENRY BROADBENT
- regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Tuesday, October 9, 1917
- age: 27 years
- record ID: 843025
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #843025)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #508512)