George Henry Beever (c.1891-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BEEVER, GEORGE HENRY. Sergeant. No 16748. 12th Company Machine Gun Corps. Formerly No 14187 Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Cumberworth. Married Miss Hanwell of Lower Hagg, Holmfirth, at Holmfirth Parish Church in 1913. Lived Lane Head, Shepley. Employed at Messrs Hampson's Quarries. Played football with the Shepley, Hepworth and Cumberworth teams. Killed in action on the first day of the Battle of the Somme, 1.7.1916, aged 25 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated on the THIEPVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Shepley War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Serjeant GEORGE HENRY BEEVER
- regiment: Machine Gun Corps
- died: Saturday, July 1, 1916
- age: 25 years
- record ID: 767805
- If Somebody Remembers Me! Men from the Village of Shepley who Served in the Great War (2014) by Geoff Peel