George Galloway (c.1893-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- GALLOWAY, HENRY JOSEPH, DCM. Sergeant. No 4/8307. 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. Son of Catherine Galloway and the late George Galloway, of 86 Whiteley Street, Milnsbridge. Employed by Messrs Joseph Dyson and Sons of Milnsbridge. Single. Enlisted at the outbreak of the war. Awarded the DCM in March, 1917, for 'long and gallant service with his battalion in France during the past twenty eight months.' Died from wounds received during the German offensive, 12.4.1918, aged 25 years. Buried WIMEREUX COMMUNAL CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 10, Row A, Grave 2.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Serjeant GEORGE GALLOWAY
- regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Friday, April 12, 1918
- age: 25 years
- record ID: 508454
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #508454)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1290276)
Notes and References
- It is uncertain why Stansfield recorded his name as "Henry Joseph" instead of "George".