George Butler (1895-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- BUTLER, GEORGE. Gunner. No 111910. 'A' Battery, 186th Brigade Royal Field Artillery. Born 6 Brian Street, Lindley, 11.10.1895. Son of Fred and Keziah Butler, 144 Lime Tree Avenue, Eldon Road, Marsh. Educated at Oakes Council School. Employed by Mr A. Willis as a tailor's cutter. Attended Marsh United Methodist Church and was a Sunday School teacher there. Was a member of Marsh United Harriers. Enlisted 29.12.1915. Killed in action, near Poperinghe, 27.6.1917, aged 21 years. Buried in POPERINGHE NEW MILITARY CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 2, Row A, Grave 30.
- ROH:- Marsh War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Gunner GEORGE BUTLER
- regiment: Royal Field Artillery
- died: Wednesday, June 27, 1917
- age: 21 years
- record ID: 139099
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #139099)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #681570)