George Albert Vigus (1891-1915)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- VIGUS, GEORGE ALBERT. Able Seaman. No KP/22. Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. 'A' Company, 'Anson' Battalion RoyalNaval Division. Born 14.8.1891. Son of Robert Edward Vigus, 105 Mayall Road, Herne Hill, Brixton, London. Had lived at Dearnecafe, Clayton West Road, Scissett, since 1906. Was employed as a miner. Was a member of the St. John Ambulance Association. On 5.9.1914, he enlisted as a Private (No 14034) in the King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry but, on 10.9.1914, he transferred to the R.N.V.R. at Crystal Palace. Killed in action at the Third Battle of Krithia, Gallipoli, on 4.6.1915, aged 24 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated HELLES MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Scissett War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Able Seaman GEORGE ALBERT VIGUS
- regiment: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
- died: Friday, June 4, 1915
- age: 24 years
- record ID: 3055253