George Albert Mellor (c.1887-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- MELLOR, GEORGE ALBERT. Private. No 29/631. 12/13th Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers. Born Upperthong, Holmfirth. Son of Sandy and Rose Emma Mellor, The Victoria Inn, Holmfirth. Educated at St. John's Day School and Sunday School and was a member of the bible class. Served his apprenticeship with Messrs Haigh Brothers, plasterers and concreters, of Holmfirth. Was a member of the Cartworth Moor Cricket Club and the St. John's football club. Enlisted May 1916. Embarked for France after fourteen weeks training. Wounded twice and gassed once. Killed in action, 8.10.1918, aged 31 years. Buried PROSPECT HILL CEMETERY, GOUY. Grave location:- Plot 4, Row F, Grave 7.
- ROH:- Upperthong War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private GEORGE ALBERT MELLOR
- regiment: Northumberland Fusiliers
- died: Tuesday, October 8, 1918
- age: 31 years
- record ID: 182345
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #182345)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3005865)