Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
The first post office in the town was situated in a yard off the present day Oldgate. Around 1830 a new office was opened in New Street but, as postal business increased in the town over the next forty years, this became inadequate and, in 1874, new and larger premises were erected on an empty plot of land on the north side of Northumberland Street. This is the building now occupied by Messrs Dugdale Bros, and a Christian Bookshop. It was erected here in the face of some opposition from the Chamber of Commerce who suggested building on the site of the then recently demolished Swan Yard in Kirkgate. This, the Chamber thought, would be more convenient, being nearer to the business centre of the town. The proponents of the Northumberland Street site argued that the position of the railway station and the new buildings near to it would cause the town centre to shift northwards and, more importantly, their site was cheaper. Their argument won the day. As we now know the town remained centred on the Market Place but the building in Northumberland Street served the town as a general post office until 1914 and, further, its position must have been considered satisfactory for its successor was built in the same area.