The place name is believed to be derived from "Fugol's farm" or "Fugol's settlement" in Old English.
Historically, Fulstone was also a township in the Parish of Kirkburton, which included the village of New Mill and the hamlet of Scholes. Together with six other townships, it formed the Graveship of Holme.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
FOULSTON, a township, in the parish of Kirk Burton, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 7¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Huddersfield; containing 1856 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1200 acres; the surface is beautifully diversified with hill and dale. The village is situated on an eminence surrounded by lofty hills; the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
FOOLSTONE, or Fulstone, a township in Kirkburton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 5½ miles SSE of Huddersfield. It includes part of Newmill village and part of Scholes hamlet. Acres, 1, 200. Real property, £5, 273; of which £323 are in mines and £74 in quarries. Pop., 2, 414. Houses, 455. See Newmill.
The extent of the Civil Township of Fulstone in the late 1880s is shown below:
- The History and Topography of the Parish of Kirkburton and of the Graveship of Holme (1861) — Township of Fulstone
Notes and References
- Compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s.