Fred Sykes (c.1881-1917)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SYKES, FRED. Private. No 35706. Labour Company, Lincolnshire Regiment. Born Holmfirth. Son of Henry and Ellen Sykes of Underbank, Holmfirth. Prior to the war was a Corporal in the Holmfirth Territorials and was disappointed because he was refused for active service on health grounds. He was determined to serve his country and subsequently joined a Labour Battalion in the Lincolnshire Regiment. Died of pneumonia, 27.4.1917, at the New Zealand Stationary Hospital, Amiens. He was 35 years of age. Buried St. PIERRECEMETERY, AMIENS. Grave location:- Plot 7, Row C, Grave 8.
- ROH:- Underbank War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private T. FRED SYKES
- regiment: Lincolnshire Regiment
- died: Friday, April 27, 1917
- age: 35 years
- record ID: 205183
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #205183)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4341441)