Fred Herbert (1897-1917)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HERBERT, FRED. Private. No 241120. 2/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Hey Laithe Farm, Marsden, 25.12.1897. Son of Robert and Elizabeth Herbert, West Street, Lindley. Educated Moldgreen Church of England School. Employed as a teaser by Messrs John Lockwood and Sons Limited, of Milnsbridge. Single. Enlisted May 1915. Embarked for France in January, 1917. Reported missing at the Battle of Bullecourt, 3.5.1917, and afterwards presumed to have been killed on that date. Has no known grave. Commemorated ARRAS MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- Brother of Private ROBERT HERBERT died of wounds, 15.9.1916.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private FRED HERBERT
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Thursday, May 3, 1917
- record ID: 786276
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #786276)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #5286569)