Fred Atkinson (1892-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- ATKINSON, FRED. Private. No 301805. 1/8th Battalion Durham Light Infantry. Born 4 Fieldhouse Road, off Cassel Street, Huddersfield, 8.1.1892. Son of Mrs M. Atkinson, 46 Thistle Street, Leeds Road. Attended St. Andrew's School. Worked as a tuner for Messrs T. and H. Blamires. Enlisted 1.6.1916. Embarked for France 4.10.1916. Mother received a letter from a Corporal of his platoon informing her that her son was wounded in a charge and died in his arms whilst he was being taken back to the trench on 5.11.1916. Age 24 years. Commemorated on the THIEPVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- St. Andrew's Church, Leeds Road.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private FRED ATKINSON
- regiment: Durham Light Infantry
- died: Sunday, November 5, 1916
- age: 25 years
- record ID: 771373
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #771373)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #95333)