Francis Fryer Abbey (1830-1915)
Francis Fryer Abbey, often referred to as "F. Fryer Abbey", was a woollen manufacturer, agent and merchant.
He was born in Huddersfield in 1830, the son of grocer Joseph Abbey and his wife Elizabeth (née Drury), and was baptised on 16 May 1830 at Holy Trinity Church, Greenhead.
At a woollen manufacturer of Huddersfield, he was declared bankrupt in February 1858.
He also worked as an agent and merchant for Robinson Brothers of Marsden and J. Brierley of Slaithwaite.
According to his obituary article, he founded the Huddersfield and District Deaf and Dumb Institution circa 1872. He maintained links with the organisation and was the secretary in the 1880s.
He was imitated as a Freemason in the Colne Gallen Lodge of Slaithwaite on 9 October 1878.
He had a lifelong interest in art and was listed as an exhibitor in Hull in aid of the Centenary Fund of the Hull General Infirmary in May 1883.
From 1894 to 1895, he ran a series of art exhibitions at the Grosvenor Art Gallery at 19a Westgate, Huddersfield.
Writing after his death, J. Sugden noted that:
Of late he has been taken care of by kind friends at Deanhouse, Holmfirth. When I first him knew — it is some fifty years ago — he lived in the wood going on to Elland with his sister (since dead). Then he came to reside near Blacker Road, and afterwards at Almondbury, at Salendine Nook, and elsewhere.
Francis Fryer Abbey died aged 83 on 15 January 1915 at the Huddersfield Workhouse Infirmary. He was buried at Birchencliffe on 18 January, with the funeral procession departing from the Deaf and Dumb Institute, then situated at 30 Ramsden Street.
|1841||Sycamore Lodge, Barnsley||11||n/a||living at home with his parents and siblings|
|1851||Wold Farm, West Heslerton, North Yorkshire||21||cloth manufacturer||living with his widowed aunt, farmer Jane Abbey|
|1861||6 Stamel Royd, Lindley||31||woollen cloth merchant||lodging with farmer Thomas Robinson|
|1881||Queen's Road, Marsh||51||woollen merchant||lodging with wholesale clothier and woollen merchant George Laurence|
|1891||24 Laund Road, Lindley||61||cloth manufacturer commission agent||living by himself|
|1911||Salendine Nook||81||gentleman (retired)||living by himself|
Notes and References
- "Bankrupts, &c." in Bolton Chronicle (13/Feb/1858).
- Hull Packet (11/May/1883).
- "The Last of Frank Fryer Abbey" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (20/Jan/1915).