Foresters Arms, Kirkgate, Huddersfield
- location: 85 Kirkgate, Huddersfield
- status: no longer exists
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
The Forester Arms was in existence by 1850. and the owner was named as William North. By the 1870s, the licencee was Joseph Stringer. Dinah Stringer became the licencee in June 1881.
The beerhouse was reportedly torn down in 1883 or 1884 and replaced with a new property, as part of improvements being carried out on that section of Kirkgate. According to the Buildings of Huddersfield web site:
The rebuilding of the property in Kirkgate and North's Yard, replaced an old house and allowed William North to utilise his leasehold property to the full, whilst improving the area and the frontage to lower Kirkgate. The new double fronted Foresters Arms Inn has its principal elevation to Kirkgate.
Along with neighbouring properties, it was sold at auction on 18 December 1888.
By 1893, the landlord was John Thomas Owens.
The beerhouse's licence was withdrawn in 1905 with compensation of £700 awarded.
- 1881 Census — Joseph Stringer (35)
The exact location of the beerhouse on Kirkgate is not certain, but it was described as being "nearly opposite the Clothiers Arms" so was possibly here:
Notes and References
- The beerhouse is mentioned in the Huddersfield Chronicle (28/Sep/1850).
- The Buildings of Huddersfield Project. See also "Borough Licensing Sessions" in Huddersfield Chronicle (23/Aug/1883) where Dinah Stringer applied for a provisional licence.
- "Sales by Auction" in Huddersfield Chronicle (01/Dec/1888).
- The owners had claimed for £998 3d. 9d. "Five Huddersfield Licences" in Leeds Mercury (02/Nov/1905).