Companies linked to this location:
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Just beyond Engine Bridge, on the right hand side of the road, notice the six storey building presently (1995) being renovated and restored as part of a new riverside leisure complex. It was here, in 1825, that Joseph Kaye built a large mill, six stories high, for the purpose of letting off rooms and power to small businessmen who could not afford to build their own premises. By 1840 he had added two other mills, a weaving shed and allied buildings on adjoining land thus providing the town with what was probably its first industrial estate. After the first mill burnt down in 1844 it was soon replaced by the present building, built on the same site to the same scale and described as fireproof. One man, George Searle Phillips, secretary of the Huddersfield Mechanics' Institute, was obviously greatly impressed by the complex for in his book "Walks round Huddersfield", published in 1848, he describes "...the factories of Joseph Kaye like so many Aladdin palaces with their hundred of windows and tall steeple chimneys." Whether the people who worked there thought of the mills as palaces is debatable. A large part of the complex has recently been demolished to make way for the bowling alleys, bars and bingo halls of the leisure complex and it is fortunate that the old mill, which must be one of the most handsome industrial buildings in the town, has been spared.
FOLLY HALL (West Side) Principal mill building at Folly Hall Mill. Early C19. Ashlar fronted. Pitched slate roof. Five storeys and attics. Moulded eaves cornice. Parapet. Seventeen ranges of industrial windows with glazing bars. Two end ranges have round-arched windows and are crowned by boldly moulded pediments. Central three ranges are also crowned by a pediment, in the tympanum of which is a five-light Venetian window with glazing bars, the outer two lights lower than the others. Side elevations have five window ranges.