Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Folly Hall, the area at the end of Colne Road and the bottom of Chapel Hill, owes its name to the enterprise of one Marmaduke Hebden, a man of property in Huddersfield in the eighteenth century. Duke Hebden was the only Huddersfield man to invest in the new Huddersfield to Woodhead turnpike of 1768. Confident that the new road would extend development southwards from the town centre, Hebden commissioned Blind Jack Metcalf to build a row of four tenements near to the bridge over the river. Most people, however, considered it unwise to build so far from the centre of things and soon, probably even before it was finished, Hebden's building was being referred to as "Folly Hall". The building, which became the Commercial Inn, stood for one hundred and fifteen years before it was demolished in 1890.