Fenton Memorial School, Victoria Road, Rashcliffe
- also known as: Rashcliffe National School, Rashcliffe Church of England School, Rashcliffe Church School (by 1960)
- appears on maps: 1890 [#806], 1905 [#59]
- location: Victoria Road, Rashcliffe
- status: still exists but now in different use
- category: school
Built in 1859 to a design by architect William Cocking, the school was named in honour of solicitor James Crosland Fenton (1796-1858) and replaced an earlier school sited in the churchyard of Emmanuel Church, Lockwood. The building carried the following inscription:
Erected by Public Subscription as a grateful Memorial of James Crosland Fenton, of Lockwood, and of his many virtues, among which shone conspicuously his unbounded liberality to the Church and Schools of the Parish of Lockwood.
The school was enlarged in 1873 to accommodate infants with the addition of a new wing and two classrooms, at a reported cost of about £700.
A separate Infant School (now demolished) was later erected on the corner of St. Stephen's Street and Bland Street in 1896.
The school was restored and enlarged in 1905.
The school was closed in March 1972.
The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:
As mentioned previously, the first school at Rashcliffe was a building which had previously stood in Lockwood Church yard, being built in 1830. When the need for a school at Rashcliffe came, the school was dismantled and rebuilt in The Crescent (now Victoria Road) as The Fenton Memorial School, opening in 1859. The Mr. Fenton commemorated was a local solicitor, being in his time Steward to the Court Leet and Solicitor to the Lockwood Local Board and a much-respected member of local society.
Notes and References
- In their obituary of Fenton, the Huddersfield Chronicle (10/Apr/1858) stated that he had been involved with the project to move the churchyard school to a new building at Rashcliffe: "We hope that as a tribute of respect to his memory, this useful work may be perfected, and that the name of 'James Crosland Fenton' may, in connection with this [new] school, be handed down to posterity".
- Annals of the Church and Parish of Almondbury, Yorkshire (1882) by Charles Augustus Hulbert.
- The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke.