Robin Royd, Huddersfield Road, Netherthong

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • appears on maps: 1892 [#202]
  • location on map: off Huddersfield Road, Netherthong
  • status: no longer exists
  • category: property

Robin Royd Gardens

Huddersfield Chronicle (25/Oct/1856)

Robin Royd Gardens, also known as Fearnought Gardens, were pleasure grounds that were occasionally opened to the public and were sometimes used as a picnic location for church outings. Although not marked on O.S. maps, it is believed the "extensive gardens" were to the west and south of the house.

Newspaper articles from the 1850s name the proprietor of the gardens as market gardener Richard Wood.

In April 1880, the Netherthong Medical Officer of Health reported that the previous December he had been called to "an isolated house" in Robin Royd Gardens where he found five people — parents and their three children — suffering from fever. The mother died soon after and the father later died at Crosland Moor Workhouse. The father was described as a gardener and the Medical Officer had found rotting fruit and vegetables throughout the house. He ordered that the bedding and clothing be destroyed and the house be thoroughly disinfected.[1]

Location

  1. "Netherthong Local Board" in Huddersfield Chronicle (03/Apr/1880).

Robin Royd, Huddersfield Road, Netherthong

Categories

Buildings | Demolished buildings | Parks and pleasure grounds | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 28 June 2017 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed