Farnley Tyas is village situated 3 miles to the southeast of Huddersfield, and was a formerly a chapelry and civil parish within the historic Parish of Almondbury.
Named as "Fereleia" in the Domesday Book, much of the village was the property of the Kaye family of Woodsome Hall from the 1370s until being acquired by the Earl of Dartmouth in 1732.
It became a chapelry in 1840 with the consecration of St. Lucius's Church, built by William the Fourth Earl of Dartmouth.
A list of "Unions and Parishes" complied for the 1862 Parliamentary Papers stated that Farnley Tyas included the hamlets of Farnley Hey and Woodsome Lees.
The parish was merged into the joint civil parish of Thurstonland and Farnley Tyas on 1 April 1925, which in turn was abolished on 1 April 1938 to become parts of the parishes of Holmfirth and Kirkburton.
Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
Farnley Tyas is a township in the same parish as the preceding places, about three miles from Huddersfield and two from Honley. But few manufacturing establishments are in this township, and, divested of these, it is a place of very little importance. The Earl of Dartmouth has, at his own expense, erected and endowed a church in this township ; and he contributes £30 annually to the support of a school in which thirty children are instructed. Population, about 900.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
FARNLEY-TYAS, a chapelry, in the parish of Almondbury, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 4 miles (S. S. E.) from Huddersfield; containing 844 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 1700 acres, chiefly the property of the Earl of Dartmouth, who is lord of the manor. The surface, which is very elevated, forming one of the highest spots in the county, is finely varied, and beautifully embellished with wood. The substratum abounds with coal, of which a mine is in operation; there are likewise quarries of stone, mostly flags, but also used for the roads; and many of the inhabitants are employed in hand-loom weaving, and in some powerlooms. A church dedicated to St. Lucian was erected and endowed in 1839, at the expense of Lord Dartmouth; it is a handsome structure, in the later English style, with a square embattled tower surmounted by a lofty spire, and contains 540 sittings, of which 230 are free. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of his lordship.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
FARNLEY-TYAS, a township-chapelry in Almondbury parish, W. R. Yorkshire; 1½ mile E by N of Berry-Brow r. station, and 4 SE by S of Huddersfield. It contains the hamlets of Farnley-Hey and Woodsome-Lees. Post town, Almondbury, under Huddersfield. Acres, 1, 623. Real property, £2, 307. Pop., 702. Houses, 151. Buildingstone and coal are worked. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £100. Patron, the Earl of Dartmouth. The church is good.
The extent of the Civil Parish of Farnley Tyas (compiled from O.S. maps of the early 1890s) is shown below.