Far Dean, Kirkburton

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • location: Kirkburton
  • category: area

Discovering Old Huddersfield

Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:

About a quarter of a mile past the chapel and immediately before the White Swan inn on the left notice Far Dean leading up the hillside to Highburton.

It seems likely that the relationship between Highburton and Kirkburton is similar to that between Upper Heaton and Kirkheaton whereby Highburton — the Burton on top of the hill — was the original settlement whilst Kirkburton — the Burton near the church developed after the church was built circa 1200.

There can be no doubt that Far Dean was once an important route as it led directly from Highburton to the manorial corn mill and, according to the 1753 township map, passed fairly close to the market cross, the village pinfold and the old hall. Incidentally, the market cross, thought to be a seventeenth century shaft resting on a much older base, still stands about a quarter of a mile up Far Dean marking the possible site of a market known to have been flourishing in the fourteenth century.

Location

Far Dean, Kirkburton

Categories

Places | Stub entry
This page was last modified on 10 February 2018 and has been edited by Dave Pattern.

Search Huddersfield Exposed