Opened as the Lockwood Picture Palace in 1915, it was also known as the Excelda Cinema.
In August 1914, the Town Council's Highway Committee discussed the planned picture house:
Councillor Priest asked if the new picture houses to be erected at Lockwood would be of stone or brick. If of brick, had they the power to prevent them being built? He would be very sorry to see brick structures erected, for they would disfigure the district.
The distinctive red brick Excelda was opened in November 1915, with a single screen and seating for over 900.
Some of the earliest films to be screened included: Sweet Lavender, The Man Who Went, Through the Dales of Derbyshire, and Droppington's Devilish Deed.
The cinema had a covered walkway from the road to the entrance.
It is believed to have closed in February 1960.
The building is currently home to Scootercrazy.