Ernest Thompson (c.1886-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- THOMPSON, ERNEST. Private. No 18/893. 'B' Company, 18th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (2nd Bradford Pals). Born Cliffe End, Longwood, Huddersfield. Son of William and Sarah Ann Thompson, 2 Bull Green Road, Longwood. Educated at Paddock Schools. Employed as a traveller by Messrs Fattorini and Sons of Bradford. Was formerly a tram driver in Halifax. Husband of Nora Elizabeth Thompson, 60 Newlands Place, Undercliffe, Bradford. Reported missing, 1.7.1916, on the first day of the Battle of the Somme and afterwards presumed to have been killed on that date, aged 30. Has no known grave. Commemorated THIEPVAL MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- St. Mark's Parish Church, Longwood.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private ERNEST THOMPSON
- regiment: West Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Saturday, July 1, 1916
- age: 30 years
- record ID: 815826
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #815826)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4130705)