Ernest Thackra (c.1894-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- THACKRA, ERNEST. Private. No 204478. 'A' Company, 9th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Son of George and Ann Thackra, Wesley Terrace, Denby Dale. Employed by Messrs G. H. Norton of Nortonthorpe Mills, Scissett. Was a member of the local Territorials prior to the outbreak of the war. Embarked for France in 1916. Was wounded three times. Died of wounds received during the attack on the Canal du Nord on 21.10.1918, aged 24 years. Buried ROCQUIGNY-EQUANCOURT ROAD BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Plot 14, Row D, Grave 35.
- ROH:- G.H. Norton Roll of Employees; Denby Dale and Cumberworth War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private ERNEST THACKRA
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Monday, October 21, 1918
- age: 24 years
- record ID: 244778
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #244778)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4393763)