Ernest Smith (1895-1918)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SMITH, ERNEST. Private. No 29167. 2/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Huddersfield 28.8.1895. Youngest son of Mrs M. Smith, 16 Mellor's Buildings, Stoney Lane, Taylor Hill, Lockwood. Educated Lockwood Church of England Schools. Employed as a woollen piecer at Queen's Mill. Single. Wounded on one occasion. Killed in action, 17.4.1918, aged 22 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated POZIERES MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Emmanuel Church, Lockwood; Huddersfield Drill Hall.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private ERNEST SMITH
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Wednesday, April 17, 1918
- record ID: 1588550
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #1588550)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4092789)