Ernest Murphy (1890-1916)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- MURPHY, ERNEST. Private. No 5/4822. 1/5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Moldgreen, Huddersfield, 19.3.1890. Son of Dennis and Sarah Hannah Murphy, 101 Lowerhouses, Almondbury. Educated Moldgreen Board School. Employed as a bookbinder by Messrs Preston Brothers and Company. Enlisted February 1916. Embarked for France in June, 1916. Killed in action near Bapaume on 25.9.1916, aged 26. Buried GUARDS' CEMETERY, (LESBOEUFS). Grave location:- Plot 3, Row L, Grave 7.
- ROH:- Huddersfield Drill Hall; Almondbury War Memorial; Lowerhouses War Memorial; memorial in Almondbury Cemetery.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private MURPHY
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Monday, September 25, 1916
- age: 26 years
- record ID: 543366
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #543366)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #3176778)