Ernest Howell (c.1885-1917)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- HOWELL, ERNEST. Private. No 40979. 10th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment. Formerly No 32363 North Staffordshire Regiment. Born Linthwaite. Son of Mr and Mrs William Howell, 22 Lowestwood Lane, Golcar. Was a member of the committee of the Wellhouse Liberal Club and also the Golcar Floral and Horticultural Society. Attended the Wellhouse United Methodist Chapel. Enlisted September 1916. Embarked for France in December, 1916. Reported missing, 28.4.1917, aged 31 years. Buried ROEUX BRITISH CEMETERY. Grave location:- Special Memorial D 11.
- ROH:- St. John's Church, Golcar.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private HOWELL
- regiment: Lincolnshire Regiment
- died: Saturday, April 28, 1917
- record ID: 533522
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #533522)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #1987686)