Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
A third of a mile past Chapel Street our route reaches the river crossing at Folly Hall, long known as Engine Bridge. Although from earliest times there might have been a forded crossing in this area it seems likely that the first bridge here was built in 1768 as part of the Huddersfield to Woodhead turnpike. This new route left the Market Place and ran directly southwards across a number of agricultural closes to the river here at Folly Hall. Later, as the town grew, this section of the turnpike developed into New Street, Buxton Road and Chapel Hill. The bridge at Folly Hall was built close to a building known as Engine Mill, obviously the source of the name Engine Bridge.