JOHN WILLIAM STREET (East Side). Empire Cinema. Early C20, in a classical style which complements the classicism of John William Street. Ashlar. Two storeys. Modillioned and dentilled cornice. Parapet, raised on corner with lion's mask ornament and blind semi-circular lunette with rusticated voussoirs. Canted corner, recessed slightly in middle, horizontally rusticated either side. Doors with glazing bars and two fluted Ionic columns on corner. Six ranges of windows with glazing bars on each elevation.
Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
Soon after turning left into John William Street notice on the right, at the top of Brook Street, a large white building. This was once the Empire Cinema which opened on the 8th March 1915. Although other cinemas were operating in the town by that time they were mainly located in converted buildings and only the Picture House in Ramsden Street preceded the Empire as a purpose-built cinema.