Elizabeth Ainley (1799-1864) née Liversidge
She married Richard Ainley, son of Ann Ainley, in 1822. The couple had 3 known children:
By 1825, they were living at Ashes Common, near Castle Hill, and Richard was working as a clothier.
By 1841, Richard was the "publican" at the first inn on Castle Hill (which later became a Temperance Hotel).
Richard Ainley died on 28 June 1848 "after a protracted illness" aged 48. He was buried on 10 July 1848 at All Hallows, Almondbury.
Elizabeth took over her late husband's licence and was named as a "beer seller" in the 1851 Census. At the Brewster Sessions of that year, she applied "for a license for a new house to be erected on Castle Hill". Following delays in construction, this was opened as the Castle Hill Hotel in 1854.
In September 1854, she left the newly-built Castle Hill Hotel to take over the licence of the New Inn (also known as the Wessenden Head Inn) at the Isle of Syke, Austonley. However, she only stayed there until March 1855.
At the time of the 1861 Census, road labourer Alfred Liversidge — believed to be Elizabeth's grand-nephew — was lodging with them.
Betty Crow died in 1864 aged 66 and was buried on 2 August at Emmanuel Church, Lockwood.
Notes and References
- Born 10 February 1825 and baptised 20 February 1825 at All Hallows, Almondbury. By 1851 was living at Dog Hall, Lockwood, and working as a labourer at Lockwood Brewery. He later became a brewer and probably died in 1869.
- Born 24 September 1837. Married land agent James Haigh of Meltham on 20 May 1879 at Holy Trinity, South Crosland. Died 8 January 1915.
- Born 27 November 1839 and baptised 16 March 1840 at All Hallows, Almondbury. Worded as an iron moulder. Married Elizabeth Ives (daughter of farmer John Ives) on 8 March 1863 at St. John the Baptist, Kirkheaton. Died July 1896 at buried 28 July at St. John's Church, Newsome.
- She was unable to sign her own name in the marriage Register.