Eldon House, Market Walk, Holmfirth

This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location marked on an old map. More detailed information may eventually be added...


  • also known as: Holmfirth Working Men's Club, Holmfirth Conservative Club, Old Bridge Hotel (current name)
  • location: Market Walk, Holmfirth
  • status: partially exists but under a different use
  • category: property

Eldon House was the home of Joseph Charlesworth J.P.. It was then used by Holmfirth Working Men's Club between 1867 and 1870 before reverting to a residential property.

From the early 1930s until 1984 it was Holmfirth Conservative Club.

In 1986, it was converted into the Old Bridge Hotel.


On the Trail of the Holmfirth Flood 1852 (1996) by Gordon and Enid Minter:

The Old Bridge Hotel incorporates much of the fabric of Eldon House, a large residence occupied in 1852 by Joseph Charlesworth J.P. and his family. There is no detailed account of the Charlesworth’s escape but it was, apparently, a narrow one as the house was flooded to the first floor ceiling and the surrounding gardens inundated. Extensive warehouses and dye houses belonging to Mr. Charlesworth were completely destroyed.

Further Reading