Edward William Lockwood (1856-1934)
Edward William Lockwood was an architect.
He was born in Armitage Bridge, the son of butcher William Eastwood Lockwood and his wife Emma (née Hallas), and was baptised on 14 September 1856 at St. Paul's Church, Armitage Bridge.
At the time of the 1871 Census, he was a 14-year-old student boarding at Pan Villa, Meltham.
He married Frances Almona Taylor of Lockwood, daughter of plumber David Hall Taylor and his wife Mary, on 25 October 1893 at All Hallows, Almondbury.
The couple had two known children:
Frances Almona Taylor died aged 65 and was buried on 29 June 1932 at St. Paul, Armitage Bridge.
Edward William Lockwood died aged 77 at Bankfoot House, Armitage Bridge, on 29 May 1934 and was buried on 31 May at St. Paul.
Selected Local Works
- four cottages at Armitage Fold for Mr. R. Campenot (1878)
- Conservative Club, Berry Brow (1886)
- Wesleyan Chapel and School, Berry Brow (1892)
- Parish Room at Honley (1893)
- New School at Spring Croft, Linthwaite (1895)
- classroom at Honley School (1896)
- new school at Milnsbridge (1900)
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Oakes Lane, Brockholes (1905-6)
Notes and References
- Born on 18 August 1861 and baptised 23 August 1861 at St. Paul, Armitage Bridge.
- Born 12 May 1895 at Cliffe House, Honley. Baptised 3 July 1895 at St. Mary's Church, Honley.
- Born 18 May 1896 at Cliffe House, Honley. Died a few months later and was buried at St. Paul, Armitage Bridge.
- Selected from "Huddersfield Architects" by Chris Marsden.