Extract from Discovering Old Huddersfield (1993-2002) by Gordon & Enid Minter:
From this altitude there is an excellent overview of Edgerton cemetery with its tower and twin chapels and this is a good a place as any to tell its story. By 1850, the graveyard at the Parish Church was full. It was estimated at the time that more than thirty-eight thousand bodies had been buried there and there was many complaints about the awful stench from rotting corpses and the disgusting scenes which were witnessed at every new interment. There was much agitated discussion about what could be done until, in October 1850, Joshua Hobson a local Radical, who had become Clerk to the newly formed Board of Works and who was much concerned with sanitary improvement in the town, published a recommendation that a new municipal cemetery should be created at Edgerton. The site, he said, was central for all the existing burial places and it was away from the main streets. He also suggested that the cemetery should have two chapels, one for Anglicans and one for non-conformists. Perhaps his most persuasive argument, however, was that the new cemetery would be in a place where the prevailing winds would carry any emanations away from the town and not into it. What the inhabitants of Birkby, Bradley, Deighton, Dalton, Kirheaton and Mirfield thought about that, we are unable to say. Edgerton Cemetery was opened in 1855 and Huddersfield was saved any further embarrassment.
CEMETERY ROAD. Edgerton. Walls along east side of Edgerton Cemetery, flanking Cemetery Road SE 1317 27/324 II 2. Mid C19. Dwarf walls of hammer-dressed stone. Ashlar piers with trefoil-headed panels and moulded caps.