The Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding) was a line infantry regiment of the British Army.
The regiment traced its roots back to the 1700s and was known as the 33rd Regiment of Foot until 1853, when Queen Victoria renamed it the 33rd (or The Duke of Wellington's) Regiment in honour of the first Duke of Wellington who had died the previous year.
Following the Childers Reforms in the early 1880s, the 33rd was amalgamated with the 76th Regiment of Foot (Halifax) to form the 1st & 2nd Regular Battalions of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment. The reforms also redesignated the 6th West York Militia as the 3rd & 4th Militia Battalions of the regiment. At the same time, three local Rifle Volunteer Corps (RVC) battalions — based at Halifax, Huddersfield, and Skipton — became the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Volunteer Battalions of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment
The 1st, 2nd and 3rd Battalions served in the Boer War (1899-1902).
Under the Haldane Reforms of 1908, which created the Territorial Force, the Volunteer Battalions were renumbered:
During the First World War, the 1st Regular Battalion remained stationed as a garrison force in India whilst the 2nd and 3rd Regular Battalions were deployed on the Western Front. The 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th Territorial Battalions all raised multiple lines from new recruits, and several new battalions (9th to 14th) were raised as part of Kitchener's "New Army".
During the inter-war period, the growing need for anti-aircraft defence saw the 5th Battalion become the searchlight 43rd (5th Duke of Wellington's) Anti-Aircraft Battalion, Royal Engineers in 1936. Two years later, the 4th Battalion became the 58th (Duke of Wellingtons Regiment) Anti-Tank Regiment, Royal Artillery.
The history of the battalions within the regiment (post 1883 Childers Reforms) is summarised below:
During the First World War, several volunteer service and labour battalions were formed from new recruits as part of Kitchener's New Army: