Dry Clough House, Dryclough Road, Crosland Moor

GEOGRAPHIC STUB
This page is a bare-bones entry for a location which appears on an historic Ordnance Survey map. More detailed information may eventually be added...

Details

  • appears on maps: 1854 [#81], 1894 [#20]
  • location: off Dryclough Road, Crosland Moor
  • status: still exists
  • category: property
  • notes: also known as the Dryclough Hotel

Extracts

The History of Lockwood and North Crosland (1980) by Brian Clarke:

This building, now a private hotel, was the home of the "well-to-do" Battye family (see also Crosland Hill Hall). The earliest part of the building dates back to around 1650 and, obvious from the long row of upper windows, was originally a weaver's house. Also attached was a small barn with various outbuildings around the yard, showing, as one would expect that in addition to weaving, farming was also carried out. Originally the building was owned by the North family but came into the Battye family in the 18th century. Around 1750 the building was extended on the south west side. The extension, of equal size to the original building, is of a style in keeping with the residence of a gentleman. A point of interest is that a number of windows, including a whole row in the north east gable, have been filled with stone, a relic of the days when tax was paid upon the number of windows in a house, a tax which was only repealed during the last century.

Historic England Listing

  • Grade II
  • first listed 29 September 1978
  • listing entry number 1290133

DRYCLOUGH ROAD (East Side). Crosland Moor. Nos 7 to 11 (odd). Dryclough Hotel. Early C19, with mid or late C19 addition at west end. Hammer-dressed stone. Pitched stone slate roof. Two storeys. First floor has three 6-light stone mullioned windows (of which the east one has 4 blocked lights, and has had one mullion removed), and one casement. Ground floor has two 4-light stone mullioned windows (of which one has had 2 mullions removed), one casement, and one 5-light stone mullioned window. One storey extension to east: one door with 6 fielded panels, and one 3-light stone mullioned window with glazing bars, and contemporary iron bars on outside. Rear has one 10-light stone mullioned window (8 lights blocked), and two 6-light stone mullioned windows to first floor, and one 3-light and two 4-light stone mullioned windows (one with one mullion removed) on ground floor: one planked door and one door with 6 sunk panels.

Gallery

    Loading... ::::::omeka tag Dry Clough House (Crosland Moor):::

Location