This page is a bare-bones entry for a specific location. More detailed information may eventually be added...
- location: Temple Street, Westgate, Huddersfield
- status: probably does not exist
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
The exact location is currently uncertain, but believed to have been in the vicinity of the top section of Westgate, near to the junction with New North Road and West Parade, in an area formerly known as Temple Street. An ink drawing from 1844 appears to show the hotel as being on the southern side of Westgate.
Likely opened circa 1837 when the Druids Arms Inn was "demolished for the new road", with George Mitchell (c.1801-1856) transferring his licence.
Richard Oastler (1789-1861) is known to have addressed large crowds from outside the Druid's Hotel and called Mitchell a "good, faithful, and warm-hearted friend".
Possibly demolished in 1846.
Licencees, Landlords and Publicans
Dates of known licence transfers, etc:
- circa 1837 — George Mitchell (formerly of the Druid's Arms Inn)
- circa 1844 — Benjamin Ainley
Notes and References
- ↑ Reproduced on page 196 of Slavery in Yorkshire: Richard Oastler and the Campaign Against Child Labour in the Industrial Revolution (2012) edited by John A. Hargreaves & E.A. Hilary Haigh.
- ↑ "Death of Mr. George Mitchell" in Huddersfield Chronicle (08/Nov/1856).
- ↑ An article in Leeds Mercury (31/Jan/1846) stated that a number of properties have received notice from the railway company "to quit", including the Cherry Tree Inn and the Druid's Arms. However, as the earlier Druids Arms Inn had reportedly been demolished in the 1830s, perhaps the article was referencing the Druids Hotel.
- ↑ Leeds Times (29/Jun/1844).