Dogley Lane Mechanics' Institute
Dogley Lane Mechanics' Institute is usually stated as being formed in 1846, however a list of historic Huddersfield publications printed in the Huddersfield Chronicle (05/Nov/1883) gives 30 May 1825 as the date it was established — if this latter date is correct, then it was one of the earliest institutes in the Huddersfield area. However, it may be that the first institute failed only to be re-established in 1846.
By 1851, the institute was running a successful savings' bank.
In October 1852, the Huddersfield Chronicle reported that attendance at the institute's meetings "is by no means so numerous as it ought to be".
It is believed the institute was in existence until at least 1871.
Notes and References
- "Yorkshire Union of Mechanics' Institutes" in Huddersfield Chronicle (14/Jun/1851).
- "Dogley Lane Mechanics' Institution" in Huddersfield Chronicle (02/Oct/1852).
- West Yorkshire Archive Service (reference: KC00978).