Formerly the Dog and Gun beerhouse run by William Heaton (1861 & 1871 Census).
In February 1874, Heaton was fined a total of £1 9s. for "permitting drunkenness in his house" on the evening of Sunday 25 January. Police Constable Hawksby had visited the Dog and Gun where he "found a man beastly drunk". On entered another room, "he found the landlord [Heaton] in such a drunken state as to be unfit to conduct his house." It was stated that the beerhouse "was generally very badly conducted."
By August 1879, butcher Robert Lunn (1835-1904), who had resided in an adjoining shop, had taken over the beerhouse and renamed it appropriately as the Butcher's Arms. Lunn's father Jonathan was listed in the 1851 Census as a "licensed beer retailer and road repairer" (possibly even residing at the same beerhouse) whilst Robert (aged 15) was working as an errand boy for a local butcher.
Following Robert's death in February 1904, his wife Miriam became the tenant on 10 May and is listed as the landlady in the 1911 Census. She retired to Moor Lane where she died in June 1923.
The subsequent licence transfers were recorded as:
The 1939 Register lists Alfred George Dyche as a licensed victualler of 306 Meltham Road.
The property is now a private residence.