Dog Inn, Kirk Gate, Huddersfield
- also known as: The Dog (Alehouse Licences), Kirkgate Inn (1901 Census)
- appears on maps: 1851 [#106], 1890 [#251]
- location: Kirk Gate, Huddersfield
- listed in: Baines (1822)
- status: no longer exists
- category: public house, beerhouse, inn, etc.
Closed circa 1907 and demolished prior to the 1918 OS map. The photograph shown here was presumably taken shortly before the building was torn down.
The name "Kirkgate Inn" was then reused for a new premises which opened circa 1912.
According to Denis Kilcommons and local pub historian David Green:
It would appear the house was known for its own-brewed beer and sold it by the barrel, especially on a Sunday, which was a day for drinking. It was well noted for customers to be falling over each other, lying on the floors drunk, stretched out on tables and lying in the gutter outside.
Over the years it had many landlords and when owner Thomas Marshall died in 1853 it was taken over by John Sunderland Tolson, of the same family that presented their house at Ravensknowle as a museum to Huddersfield.
The final licensee, Michael Prendicast, was hauled before the Licensing Justices for allowing ladies of a certain character and personality to habitually assemble, taking far too long over their refreshments.
He lost his license and the pub closed on April 11, 1907.
Another Dog Inn beerhouse was situated in Moldgreen.
Landlords and Licensees
- Richard Dutton (Alehouse Licences)
- Jane Durrans
- James Armitage (43) born Huddersfield (1861 Census)
Notes and References
- "Reputation and history surrounding town's The Dog Inn" in Huddersfield Daily Examiner (05/May/2015).
- Huddersfield Chronicle (24/Dec/1869)
- Was landlord by May 1858.