The beerhouse was owned by Alfred Ormerod circa 1880, with John Haley becoming the licencee in March 1881, taking over from previous landlord John Cuniffe. Subsequent licence transfers were to Daniel Woodhouse (March 1882), Henry Wilson (October 1883), and George Dyson (April 1884).
In 1892, the beerhouse was owned by the Spring Mill Brewery of Milnsbridge. At that time, the licence was Joseph Hirst but he was temporarily absent from the property at the time the annual licence renewals had to be submitted and the Chief Constable's report to the Brewster Sessions noted that he had found both the Dock Tavern and the Royal Oak on Manchester Street "closed [with] no persons residing on the premises". At the adjourned session, it was argued that this absence constituted a break in the tenancy and Hirst would have to submit a brand new application. However, it was then argued that he would in affect be applying to have the licence transferred from himself to himself. The magistrates deliberated and their clerk ruled that it should be treated as a renewal.
The 1937 Directory recorded the licencee as Joseph Walker.
It was likely demolished along with neighbouring properties in the 1940s.
The tavern is not marked on available O.S. maps, but was situated at 42 Dock Street, off Castlegate. The 1937 Directory implies this was the first property on the southern side of the street from Castlegate, which is shown below: