Denby Grange (hamlet)
Denby Grange was one of the hamlets within the Township of Whitley Upper and the Parish of Kirkheaton, the other being the hamlet of Whitley Upper.
The hamlet was part of the Honour of Pontefract and was the ancestral seat of the Baronets of Grange who resided at Denby Grange Hall until the 1,000 acre estate was sold in 1948 by the 5th Baronet, Sir Kenelm Arthur Lister-Kaye, who retired to live in Ireland. The hall was subsequently demolished circa 1950.
Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland: Volume 5 (1822) by J.P. Neale:
Denby Grange is seated in a rich and fertile valley, through which winds the river Colne, and bounded by high hills, richly cultivated. This seat stands in the parish of Kirkheaton, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, and at the distance of seven miles from Wakefield.
Sir John Kaye, of Woodsome, Yorkshire, Knight, was advanced to the dignity of a Baronet by King Charles the First, February 4th., 1641. He served that unfortunate monarch as Colonel of Horse, and suffered much both in person and estate during the civil wars, but happily survived the usurpation of Cromwell, and witnessed the restoration of King Charles the Second to the throne of his ancestors.
The second son of the second Baronet was George Kaye, Esq., of Denby Grange; he married Dorothy, daughter of Robert Saville, of Bryan Royd, in this county, and, dying in the year 1707, his son succeeded to the property of his two uncles, Christopher Lister, Esq. and Sir Arthur Kaye, Baronet; he assumed the name of Lister, in addition to his own, and became the fourth Baronet of this family; and upon the death of Sir Richard Kaye, LL.D., Dean of Lincoln, who was the sixth Baronet, without issue, the title became extinct, but was renewed, December 28th., 1812, in the person of Sir John Lister Kaye, Baronet, of Denby Grange, sole heir to the estates of the families of Lister and Kaye, by will.
The extent of the hamlet of Denby Grange (compiled from the 1854 Ordnance Survey map) is shown below in red, with the remainder of the township of Whitley Upper (which was the hamlet of Whitley Upper) shaded in green.