Denby Grange Hall, Denby Grange, Whitley Upper
- location: off Denby Grange Lane, Denby Grange, Whitley Upper
- status: no longer exists
- category: hall
The site of Denby Grange Hall, the seat of the Baronets of Grange.
The 5th Barnoet, Sir Kenelm Arthur Lister-Kaye, sold the 1,000 acre estate in 1948 to the timber merchant firm of Job Earnshaw & Bros. Ltd. who were keen to use the 100 acres of woodland as a timber source. At the time of the sale, the mansion house was described as "a central hall with five reception rooms and 21 bedrooms".
The hall was then sold in 1949 to a iron and steel merchant firm who subsequently demolished it. An auction of the internal fittings took place on 23 and 24 November 1949:
Internal fittings, fixtures, fine oak panelling, oak and deal floor boards, two fine oak staircases, solar boiler and piping, antique ornamental lead fall pipes, together with the entire stone fabric of the mansion.
Views of the Seats of Noblemen and Gentlemen in England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland: Volume 5 (1822) by J.P. Neale:
Denby Grange is seated in a rich and fertile valley, through which winds the river Colne, and bounded by high hills, richly cultivated. This seat stands in the parish of Kirkheaton, in the West Riding of Yorkshire, and at the distance of seven miles from Wakefield.
Sir John Kaye, of Woodsome, Yorkshire, Knight, was advanced to the dignity of a Baronet by King Charles the First, February 4th., 1641. He served that unfortunate monarch as Colonel of Horse, and suffered much both in person and estate during the civil wars, but happily survived the usurpation of Cromwell, and witnessed the restoration of King Charles the Second to the throne of his ancestors.
The second son of the second Baronet was George Kaye, Esq., of Denby Grange; he married Dorothy, daughter of Robert Saville, of Bryan Royd, in this county, and, dying in the year 1707, his son succeeded to the property of his two uncles, Christopher Lister, Esq. and Sir Arthur Kaye, Baronet; he assumed the name of Lister, in addition to his own, and became the fourth Baronet of this family; and upon the death of Sir Richard Kaye, LL.D., Dean of Lincoln, who was the sixth Baronet, without issue, the title became extinct, but was renewed, December 28th., 1812, in the person of Sir John Lister Kaye, Baronet, of Denby Grange, sole heir to the estates of the families of Lister and Kaye, by will.
Notes and References
- "Baronet Sells Yorkshire Estate" in Yorkshire Post (02/Oct/1948).
- "Sales by Auction" in Yorkshire Post (08/Nov/1949).