Deighton Local Board was the local authority body primarily responsible for issues relating to public health in the hamlet of Deighton and was formed circa 1860 with an initial membership of three persons. The membership was increased to six following a meeting held on 13 March 1862 at the Woolpack Inn.
Typically elected by local rate payers and property owners, Local Boards were formed following the Public Health Act 1848 and the subsequent Local Government Act 1858, and had responsibility for the oversight of sewers, water supplies, public toilets, street cleaning, slaughterhouses, pavements, and burial grounds within their district.
The Deighton Local Board District was abolished on 7 September 1868 when the hamlet became part of the combined Dalton, Bradley & Deighton Ward within the new Municipal Borough of Huddersfield.
The extent of the local board district (taken from the early 1890s O.S. maps) is given below. The district is shaded in green and the entirety of historic township of Huddersfield is shown in red.