David Wilkinson (c.1886-1915)
An ongoing project to commemorate and research the lives of those who appear on war memorials and rolls of honour in the local area, who served in the military, or whose deaths were linked to conflict.
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- WILKINSON, DAVID. Private. No 14391. 'Y' Company, 8th Battalion Duke of Wellington's Regiment. Born Netherthong, Holmfirth. Lived with his sister, Mrs M. Hoyle at Deanhouse, Holmfirth. Employed as a millhand. Enlisted at the outbreak of the war. Died of wounds at Alexandria, Egypt, on 9.9.1915, received at Gallipoli. He was 29 years of age. Buried CHATBY WAR MEMORIAL CEMETERY, ALEXANDRIA, EGYPT. Grave location:- Row H, Grave 22.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private WILKINSON
- regiment: Duke of Wellington's Regiment (West Riding)
- died: Thursday, September 9, 1915
- record ID: 110160
- History of Netherthong: Netherthong and its WW1 heroes
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #110160)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4753794)