David Sykes was a woollen manufacturer, Justice of the Peace, and a former Mayor of Huddersfield.
He was born in Huddersfield, the son of cloth manufacturer David Sykes.
He married Mary Anne Musgrave, daughter of William Musgrave, on 29 May 1851 at St. Peter's Church, Leeds. The couple lived at Croft House, Marsh, and had two known children:
Following the Incorporation of Huddersfield in 1868, he was one of the first aldermen of the Borough of Huddersfield. He was the Mayor of Huddersfield from 1874 to 1875 and later laid the corner stone of the Market Hall on King Street. He retired from the town council in 1879 and moved to London.
David Sykes died on 8 November 1889 in London and was cremated at West Norwood, Lambeth.
Mary Anne Sykes died on 21 January 1906.
Yorkshire Post (09/Nov/1889):
Yesterday news was received in Huddersfield that Mr. David Sykes, formerly of Croft House Lane, Marsh, had died suddenly at his residence, Clapham Common, London. From 1868 to 1879 Mr. Sykes was an alderman of this borough, and was Mayor in 1874-5, and during his mayoralty, as Chairman of the Markets Committee, he laid the corner stone of the Market Hall, in King Street. He was among the first of the magistrates appointed for the borough after its incorporation in 1870. He left Huddersfield and went to reside in London eight or nine years ago. He had recently been in Lima on business connected with a railway in Peru of which he was the chairman. Mr. Sykes was a Congregationalist and a Liberal.