David Smith (c.1897-1918)
Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922
The following extract is from Huddersfield's Roll of Honour: 1914-1922 (2014) by J. Margaret Stansfield:
- SMITH, DAVID. Private. No 43600. 15th/17th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment (2nd Leeds Pals). Formerly No 28983 The Yorkshire Regiment. Born Linthwaite. Son of Mr and Mrs George Smith, 17 Roydhouse, Linthwaite. Employed as a feeder by Messrs Charles Lockwood and Sons, Blackrock Mills. Attended Linthwaite Church. Was a member of Hoyle Ing Working Men's Club. Enlisted March 1916. Embarked for France in July, 1916, after training at Rugeley Camp, Staffordshire. Killed in an attack on the German lines on 19.7.1918, aged 21 years. Has no known grave. Commemorated PLOEGSTEERT MEMORIAL TO THE MISSING.
- ROH:- Linthwaite War Memorial.
Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- Private DAVID SMITH
- regiment: Yorkshire Regiment
- died: Friday, July 19, 1918
- age: 21 years
- record ID: 868485
- Commonwealth War Graves Commission (ID #868485)
- Imperial War Museums: Lives of the First World War (ID #4090359)