Dalton is a district to the east of Huddersfield which was formerly a township in the Parish of Kirkheaton.
The township, which included the hamlet of Moldgreen, extended northwards along Kilner Bank to Bradley Mills and then along Dalton Bank, and eastwards along Wakefield Road to Waterloo.
Amongst the notable properties in the township were the ancient farmstead of Dives House (demolished in the 1950s), Ravenknowle Hall (which opened as the Tolson Memorial Museum in 1922) and a Swedenborgian chapel on Long Lane.
Baines' Directory (1822)
Dalton, in the parish of Kirkheaton, wap. of Agbrigg, and manor of Wakefield; 1 mile NE. of Huddersfield. Population, 2289.
Pigot and Co.'s Royal National and Commercial Directory of August 1841:
One mile from Kirk-Heaton, in that parish, is the township of Dalton. The manufactures here are of the same nature as those of Kirk-Heaton. The Swedenborgians have a place of worship in this township, which contains upwards of 3,000 inhabitants.
A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848) edited by Samuel Lewis:
DALTON, a township, in the parish of Kirk-Heaton, union of Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York; containing 3906 inhabitants. This place forms the eastern suburb of the town of Huddersfield, from which it is separated by the river Colne, and has become the centre of a widely extended branch of commerce, consisting of all kinds of fancy goods for waistcoating, trowsers, gowns, &c. The township includes Mold-Green, Dalton-Green, Dalton-Fold, Bradley-Mills, and some other scattered hamlets, and comprises an area of 1242a. 1r. 7p. The tithes were commuted under an inclosure act obtained in 1799. There is a place of worship for Swedenborgians.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
DALTON, a township in Kirk-Heaton parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on a branch of the river Calder, 2 miles NE of Huddersfield. It includes the hamlets of Dalton-Fold, Dalton-Green, Bradley-Mills, and Mould-Green; and carries on a manufacture of fancy goods. Acres, 1,255. Real property, £12,592. Pop., 4,692. Houses, 980. There are a chapel of ease and a Swedenborgian chapel.