Cumberworth was a township in the parishes of Silkstone and High Hoyland (both in the Honour of Pontefract), which included the villages of Lower and Upper Cumberworth, as well as parts of Skelmanthrope. The separate township of Cumberworth Half was situated in the parishes of Kirkburton and Emley (both in the Manor of Wakefield).
The fact that Cumberworth was geographically interlocked with Cumberworth Half caused administrative problems, as indicated by this 1875 newspaper article:
We may state that for many years great confusion and difficulty have been experienced not only by the inhabitants but also by the collectors of rates, inspectors of weights and measures, and others having public duties to perform. Several cases might be named where great inconvenience had arisen, and of late the houses have had to be numbered with black letters on white [back]ground and vice versa in order to distinguish in which township they were.
Following legislation, the complex township boundaries of the two townships were simplified and Cumberworth Half became the township of Skelmanthorpe on 23 February 1876.
Cumberworth, a chapelry in the parish of Silktone, and Half-Cumberworth, a township in the parish of Kirk-Burton, are contiguous to each other, situate 5½ miles north-west from Penistone. The chapel here is an ancient fabric; the living is in the presentation of T.W. Beaumount, Esq., of Bretton Park. A national school is in the chapelry, which, by the returns for 1831, contained 1,374 inhabitants, and the township 1,180.
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1872) edited by John Marius Wilson:
CUMBERWORTH, a township-chapelry in Silkstone and High Hoyland parishes, W. R. Yorkshire; on the Huddersfield and Sheffield railway, near Denby Dale railway station, and 8 miles SE of Huddersfield. It includes parts of the hamlets of Skelmanthorpe and Scissett; the former of which has a post office under Huddersfield. Acres, 930. Real property, £4,856. Pop., 2,414. Houses, 473. The property is subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are makers of fancy goods. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £148. Patron, W.B. Beaumont, Esq. The church is Norman. There are two Wesleyan chapels, a P. Methodist chapel, a Free Methodist chapel, and a national school.
The boundary of the township, as marked on O.S. maps of the early 1890s, is shown below.
Notes and References
- "Important Local Government Inquiry at Scissett" in Barnsley Chronicle (08/May/1875).